We on Beat My Day has once again got ourselves an exclusive interview! This time it’s with the hardworking DJ/Producer based in Gothenburg, Sweden – Mikael Weermets. Here he is telling a little bit about his life as a DJ/Producer and some of the upcoming collaborations and productions. Except this extraordinary interview we have received one great free download and one exclusive mixtape only for Beat My Day! We can’t expose a tracklist for the mixtape due to its exclusivity of the tracks in it. Enjoy!
Tell us a little about yourself, where are you from? How old are you? For how long have you been in the business?
Hey out there! I’m Mikael Weermets, 23 years old from Gothenburg, Sweden. Been working as a fulltime-DJ since i was about 18 years old, been in to production for 3 years now, did my first release on Sunhouse Records early 2008.
How and where did your interest for house music start?
- It started at a very young age, about maybe 10 years ago, back when it was all about the funky stuff. Listening to a lot of funky & latin stuff then, always been in to all sorts of electronic dance music, but house really captured me.
What is your opinion of house music blogs such as ours?
- I’m quite open to whatever the blogs want to do, any producer out there should know the great importance of the blogs, and all the PR you get from them, illegal blog or not. The house blogs are such a big part of the dancemusic business today, and i think it’s very important to keep that in mind. I’m so happy that there are so many hungry spirits out there keeping the blogs going, showing people what’s coming next, and what you should have a extra look at.
Tell us about your musical style. What can we expect from a Mikael Weermets set?
- Alot of funk & energy! As I actually started out as a hiphop-DJ im used to working fast, I always wanna play as many tracks as possible, make a whole experience of the set, not just a straight boring up & down-set.
Who has been your biggest inspiration when you’ve produced music?
- My biggest inspirations are without a doubt Quincy Jones & Eric Prydz. Both have had such an amazing impact on music in their own genres. Always bringing something fresh to the table, theres always a little surprise that gets you hooked somewhere in their productions.
Which DJ software is your favourite and why?
- Ableton Live without a doubt. Ableton has everything you need to rock any dancefloor, make a set that’s absolutely mindblowing. The other DJ-softwares i tried out is just for comfort, nothing else. But if I would ever let go of my beloved CD’s, I would definetly go with Ableton!
Top 5 tracks at the moment?
Syke’N'Sugarstarr feat. Alexandra Prince – So Alive (Gregori Klosman & Danny Wild Remix)
Deniz Koyu – Loose Control (Johan Wedel Remix)
Christian Marchi feat. Luciana – I Got My Eye On You (Chuckie Remix)
Pryda – Viro (Original Mix)
Disfunktion feat. Max C – In The Sunshine (Original Mix)
What do you think is the main ingredient to succeed producing a great track?
- It depends on what kind of track that you are making, but an epic beauitful break, a ”hands in the air”-buildup and a powerful drop is what people remember about a track, and what makes the dancefloor explode!
What do you expect to accomplish during the year of 2010?
- Actually I don’t expect anything at all, I’m just happy for whatever happens next, I’ve been blessed with a packed schedule both music & gig-wise, and that makes me so happy. I’m working every waken moment of the day to improve, get some fresh tracks out there, and try to make every dancefloor explode.
What are you working with at the moment? (Collaborations and productions)
- I’m sure I’m gonna forget something now, there are so many. Collaborations with D.O.N.S, Disfunktion, Johan Wedel, Audible, Sebjak, my hiphop-superstar boy Adam Tensta & more are on the way. I’m working with some HUGE vocalist-names right now, can’t even believe it’s happening, we are working on something really special for next year. I’ve done loads of remixes in the last months, on some of the biggest labels & artists in the business, which has been really cool for me, im very happy about this opportunity, makes me work even harder each day!
Some quick questions:
Clubs or festivals?
- I’m more of a club guy, I like that family feeling to it. Rather too small then too big.
Blondes or brunettes?
- Definitely blondes. Miss Blue Rose is blonde of course!
Vinyl, CD or mp3(computer)?
- CD for all the amazing tricks you can do with it, vinyl for the feeling!
Hamburger or steak?
- I’ve just had the biggest burger in town, so today I’m going for steak, but ask me tomorrow, and it will be a tie!
Free Download: Audiosoul feat. Daniel De Bourg – Lights On (Mikael Weermets & Audible Remix) [ZIPPYSHARE]
The download limit is full on Soundcloud but we posted a zippy link also, don’t forget to download it!!!!
Free Download: Mikael Weermets - Beat My Day Exclusive Mixtape
No tracklist is given due to the exclusivity of the tracks in the mixtape.
/Beat My Day