Following up on our latest exclusive free download Johan Wedel – Playdoo, here’s a brand new interview with the French shooting-star duo French Government, in which they tell us a bit about their own sound, way of working and much more! We’ve also had the honor of hosting their huge track That Fat Swing as an exclusive free download for all of you guys! Enjoy and don’t forget to grab yourself a free copy of this banger!
Nice to have you back, Mickael and Gregoire! What have you been up to lately?
- It is always a pleasure to Beat the Day with you guys, answering some questions. Since the last interview, we kept each other plus our passion for music and moved to the next level concerning the rest! You know, we’ve been changing gear, muscling our sound, finding new influences, setting new goals and approaches in our music adventure. We’ve been changing our management and labels.. We try to be open-minded and think about the future. We now are Radio FG resident DJs, we have a good collaboration with established imprints such as Cr2, we’re preparing new tours, have album projects (with pop bands, and solo) and stuff… Cool times!
In our last interview with you guys you mentioned a track called Toboggan, what’s the status on that one?
- It is quite simple: Toboggan was the original name of the release Latin Stock Options that came out a couple of months ago, together with Desperate Traders. These two have been followed by Panoptica, Swench, Love Is Remix, Believe Remix and more.
How is it working in a duo like you guys do?
- It is a lot of trust, friendship and complementarity and it is a huge strengh, day after day, track after track, gig after gig. We are really attached to this ”band” feeling.
How would you guys describe your own sound and way of producing?
- What is really important to understand about our music is that we are not emprisonned in one specific genre of electronic music. We want to give to best of our creativity and musician skills in progressive, the same best in techno, house, electro-pop or whatever we fancy. But this has nothing to do with freestyle. It is innovation. You will hear it in the next releases. Regarding our workflow, it just changed. We are actually trying to move to a process based on live performance and more creativity. We have fun with the beats and create melodies and mixes between genres up until we find a loop we are satisfied of. Then we work on the structure and the journey feeling we want to deliver. It is like creating a beautiful car and then decide on what road you want to drive it.
Your old production Shining Heart was presented a while back with vocals, can you tell us about the collaboration with Ann Bailey and track itself, has it gotten any release date yet?
- Shining Heart’s vocal release is coming very soon but we can’t give a precise date, sorry. It will come with a remix from Mikael Weermets. Ann Bailey is a great singer and a very nice woman.
Top 5 tracks at the moment?
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike feat. Vangosh – Deeper Love (Tommy Trash Remix)
Dj DLG feat. Kinch – Tie Me Lightly (French Government Remix)
Michael Woods – Nitro
Digitalism – Blitz
Arias & Nael Atess – Alive
What would you like to achieve as producers and DJ’s? What are your plans and thoughts for the future?
- This answer could have been the longest because there are so many things we want to do. But let’s try to keep it clear and simple: we want to be the best DJ, producer and live act. This doesn’t mean the most famous. We just want to give our best. We commit to that idea and are confident in the good results to show up We have done a lot but have even more to learn, that’s what’s exciting.
Finally, you’ve been kind enough to be lending us your track That Fat Swing as a free download, can you tell us a bit about that one?
- That Fat Swing was made during our first Swedish Tour in May 2010, in Stockholm. It will not be released on a label. People have been liking it live (the first reactions at Stockholm’s Solidaritet were crazy!), asking for release… and sometimes it is nice to reward our fans’ support by giving them a present We chose Beat My Day to deliver it because you guys are passionated about music and are promoting the young international scene the right way. So thanks for that! Much love to all.
Exclusive Free Download: French Government – That Fat Swing (Original Mix)
/Anton & Jesper
9 Comments to “Exclusive Interview with French Government”
Upcoming Events / Releases
- 20 May, 2013
- WOWWOWMaison & Dragen - WOW all day
- EchoesEchoesHenrik B, Niklas Gustavsson & Peter Johansson – Echoes all day
- BuzzcutBuzzcutBingo Players - Buzzcut all day
- Never Say GoodbyeNever Say GoodbyeHardwell & Dyro feat. Bright Lights - Never Say Goodbye all day
- Bad GuyBad GuyGregori Klosman & Tony Romera - Bad Guy all day
- PhantomPhantomFehrplay - Phantom [Pryda Friends] all day
- 21 May, 2013
- 23 May, 2013