Setting the tone ahead of her debut studio album that’s slated for release in July, Friday night saw deep house queen Maya Jane Coles helm her second Essential Mix for BBC Radio One following her 2011 debut. Showcasing her fluid mixing style in a mix of peaks and valleys and a stellar track selection, Maya makes good use of her time on the air at BBC Radio One. Blasting through music from the likes of Rodriguez Jr, Adam Port, Blond:ish, and Maya herself among many others, Maya Jane Coles’ awe-inspiring set ticks all the right boxes for a successful Essential Mix.
01. The Poet – Rain On April (Yves Le Groove Mix) [OT]
02. Joe Stawarz – Suite B [Soma]
03. [a]pendics.shuffle feat. Blakkat – Heavy Burdens High (Safeword Remix) [Adjunct Audio]
04. Deep Guys – Roomba (Oceanic Mix) [OT]
05. Francesco Rossi feat. JS & A – Paper Aeroplane [D:vision]
06. Linus Quick – There Shall Be Light (Mike Maass Remix) [Wayward]
08. Anonym – I Can’t [Vakant]
09. Jordan Lieb – Dreams From The Ghetto [Superfreq]
10. P. Wiltshire – Closer [Hypercolour]
11. Nick Galemore – Pt. 1 [Kindisch]
12. Maya Jane Coles feat. Karin Park – Everything [I Am Me]
13. Rodriguez Jr. – Satellite [Mobilee]
14. Nana K. – Old’s Cool [Recovery Tech]
15. Weltenwandler – Departure [Electrophil]
16. Mad_Us – Hypnoze (Luca Bear Remix) [Armonia]
17. Riva Starr & Rssll – Absence (Adam Port Remix) [Snatch!]
18. Marbert Rocel – Small Hours (Daniel Stefanik Remix) [Compost]
19. Juliano Silva – 1000 Miles [Eon5]
20. LPZ – Council Fonk
21. Deetron feat. Ovasoul7 – Out Of My Head (KiNK Vocal Mix) [Music Man]
22. Alex Piccini & Marka T – Suite Yourself [Amazing]
23. Gianni Amoroso – No Matter How Far [Morning Mood]
24. Sivesgaard – In The Night (Blond:ish Remix) [Eklektisch]
25. Frederick Alonso – 96 (Tech Mix) [Stab]
26. Paul Mad – Undes (Alex Piccini Remix) [Deep Beep]
27. Ella Fitzgerald – Blue Skies (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
28. Knox – Fault [Last Night On Earth]
Capping off her biggest year to date, the Deep House queen known as Maya Jane Coles kickstarts her I Am Me Recordings label with the release of a new four-track EP.
Cut from the same cloth as her previous studio exploits, the ‘Easier To Hide’ EP fuses delicate female vocals with smooth chords and sophisticated bass grooves throughout to make for a collection of movie-like pieces of music rather than club anthems. Invoking that feeling of watching a rainy landscape pass by through the window of a fast-going car, there is evidently still time for the calm and collected movements that Maya Jane Coles does all too well if this EP is anything to go by.
Ahead of the Monday release of his new single alongside Paul Rogers for Toolroom, Pete Tong comes live from the Ushaia Ibiza Beach Club to deliver this week’s ”Essential Selection” as part of the BBC Radio 1 Ibiza Weekend. Kicking things off with the likes of Alesso’s ‘Years‘, Sander van Doorn and Julian Jordan’s ‘Kangaroo‘, as well as Avicii’s soon-to-be-released remix of Eric Turner’s ‘Dancing In My Head‘, Tong then hands over to Swedish House don Axwell to deliver a 15 minute live set, featuring a world exclusive spin of Tommy Trash’s forthcoming Axtone debut.
Tom Staar’s recent release off Mau5trap, ‘Home‘, makes its debut on the show ahead of an exclusive showcase of performances from such talented guests as Eats Everything, Maya Jane Coles and Joris Voorn before rounding off this week’s show with Pete Tong back-to-back with the latter.
Alesso feat. Matthew Koma – Years [Refune]
Sander van Doorn & Julian Jordan – Kangaroo [Doorn]
Michael Woods feat. Ester Dean – We’ve Only Just Begun [Ministry Of Sound]
Eric Turner vs. Avicii – Dancing In My Head (Tom Hangs Remix) [Capitol]
Letthemusicplay – So Tired (Juan Kidd Remix) [Ministry Of Sound]
Intro (In My Mind)
Hard Rock Sofa & Swanky Tunes – Here We Go [Axtone] w/ Swedish House Mafia vs. Tinie Tempah – Miami 2 Ibiza (Acappella + Original) w/ Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl feat. Georgi Kay – In My Mind (Axwell Mix) [Axtone]
The Aston Shuffle vs. Tommy Trash – ID [Axtone]
Alex Kenji – Blue Strobe Light [Toolroom] w/ Rob Adans – Abash [Work Machine] w/ Axwell feat. Errol Reid – Nothing But Love (Acappella) w/ The Knife – Silent Shout
Nneka – Shining Star (Joe Goddard Remix) [Decon]
Tom Staar – Home [Mau5trap]
Infinity Ink – Infinity [Crosstown Rebels]
EATS EVERYTHING (+ PETE TONG TALKS TO JORIS VOORN)
Eats Everything – Jagged Edge [Pets]
Adam F – Circles
Gotye feat. Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know (Marco Faraone Edit)
Michel Cleis – Mir A Nero [Pampa]
Dusky – Every Day [Dogmatik]
MAYA JANE COLES (+ PETE TALKS TO EATS EVERYTHING)
Tim Vita & Oliver Gehrmann – Hold Me Tight [Freude am Tanzen]
JMX – Let Go (Jordan Peak Remix) 
JORIS VOORN (+ BACK2BACK WITH PETE TONG)
Shadow Child – So High [Moda]
Waifs & Strays – Lost (In The Party) [Dirtybird]
Nic Fanciulli – Movin’ On [Rejected]
Joris Voorn – Goodbye Fly [Rejected]
KiNK – Existence [Toolip]
There has been something in the vocal stylings of Florence Welch that has continued to inspire the ranks of Dance music’s finest remixers. But for latest single ‘Spectrum (Say My Name)’, Florence and the Machine receive a sturdy injection of modern Dance charm from two very contrasting figureheads amid the global House explosion.
Now something of a connoisseur in the overlap of vintage electro and modern pop music, Calvin Harris brings that uplifting club floor charm with little compromise on the original. While reminiscent of Avicii’s infamous mash up, Harris holds his ground with a divine collection of emotive leads that engage the tracks club capabilities seamlessly.
While few could play down the strong sense of underground pride that Maya Jane Coles has spun throughout her timely reign on the floor, ‘Spectrum (Say My Name)’ is maybe one of the least expected avenues for the renowned Deep House evangelist. Fusing deep and haunting melodic surges with delicate yet insatiable grooves, the British talent successfully breaths a little unfamiliar energy into this unsuspecting modern pop hit.
Update: The extended Calvin Harris remix has now been released: Beatport Link
Calvin Harris Remix
Words by Dan Carter